Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

non resident tax code I am in Ohio Money to be transfered is

Customer Question

non resident tax code I am in Ohio Money to be transfered is uk
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello again debdo,

Could you tell me a little more about the details regarding this inheritance.

Were you contacted by someone saying that you were entitled to an overseas inheritance?

Do you personally know the benefactor of this inheritance?

Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello again debdo,

I was asking if you knew more details about this inheritance because it appears that you may likely be a victim of a widespread scam which is currently going on with inheritance schemes.

We have had numerous people come through this forum lately with similar requests such as yours, only to find they have been a victim of a scam.

People such as yourself are contacted by email or regular mail and are advised that they have a large inheritance coming from a distant relative living in the UK. They are told that before the funds can be released a tax code is required. The problem is that such a tax code does not exist, and then when the person cannot come up with the tax code they are told that in lieu of the tax code they must pay a fee before the funds are released. Once the person pays the fee, they never see any inheritance.

Just keep in mind that if you have a legitimate inheritance coming to you, there is no tax code or fee required from you, so please do not let someone talk you into thinking there is. You should do some online research about the bank that is requesting this information or fee. There are also numerous articles on the internet if you just do a search for "inheritance scam".

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you and let me know if you have more questions on this.