How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to know where I can find the IRS information that

This answer was rated:

I would like to know where I can find the IRS information that says we can claim the interest on a recreational vehicle?



The publication you need to refer to is Pub 936 for Home Mortgage Interest Deduction. I am giving you a link below to that publication. Please refer to page 2 which describes a Qualified Home.


In order to have the interest on your RV loan tax deductible through the IRS, you must meet all qualifications. Due to the fact that the motorhome must be seen as a second home, it must be usable as an area in which one could be fully sustained, as in a regular home.


First and foremost, the RV must be used as security for the loan. There are certain interior requirements proving that home like accommodations are existing as well. These accommodations include a basic sleeping quarter, or sleeping area in the RV. The motorhome must also have a working toilet and certain cooking accommodations as well. Most RV's come pre-equipped with each of these amenities. If they are not pre-equipped, they are more than likely upgradeable to the status of qualified by simply adding the necessary accommodations.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you.




Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you