Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

The IRS requested a 2nd meeting with me at their office, I

Customer Question

The IRS requested a 2nd meeting with me at their office, I consulted legal advise and was told to tell them to correspond their findings in mail to me. I got a summonds today to appear. What's up and what can i expect?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.

Hello horizon,

Was the 1st meeting with the IRS the result of an audit on your personal or business tax return?

What were the results of the 1st meeting?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Audit on Business tax return. They requested additional information and I sent it to them. They then wanted me to come to their office on 12/5 and I consulted an attorney, he looked at everything I had and said to call them and tell them that I would not be there and to please correspond in writing their findings or any additional information they need.

Expert:  Merlo replied 5 years ago.

Hello again horizon,

I cannot second-guess why the attorney told you not to attend that meeting, but it generally is just a good idea to cooperate with the IRS whenever they ask you to do something. It certainly serves no purpose to irritate a situation that apparently is already under question.

Without knowing all the details of this audit it would be impossible to say what to expect from this second meeting, however, the examiner apparently has additional questions related to the requested information which you supplied to them. As long as you have nothing to hide, then you should not b e worried and just attend the meeting and provide them with your fullest cooperation. It could have a positive impact on how the examiner treats your case.

Just be prepared to answer any questions they may have pertaining to the additional information you supplied. If you have additional back-up information which you have not yet provided to them, you should take that information with you as well.

Just remember that your cooperation with the examiner is of the utmost importance at this point in time, as they do have some leeway in how your case is handled.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.