Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS

IRS is auditing me for tax years 2005-2007 for the following

IRS is auditing me for tax years 2005-2007 for the following reasons: Exemptions, they said that I have not provided proof of half of dependents support. and for Child Credit tax, they daid that per IRS Code Section 24, I do not qualify for this credit. I am the grandmother of the three dependents in questions. They ages 11, 10, 8 I have always claim them as my dependents. My daughter is has custodial over the kids and no one is claiming them. The children reside with my daughter, but occasionally spend them with me. I am the sole provider for these kids. I purchse their needs, books, and everything that they need. My duaghter does not work. My question is:
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. Your grandchildren must live with you for more than 6 months during the year to be claim as you qualify dependent children. In order to your to receive the Child Tax Credit the children must lived with you for over 6 months during the year.