Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
753989

My granddaughter filed a hard copy of her income tax last year,

My granddaughter filed a hard copy of her income tax last year, even though she completed the form on line. Now she needs a copy of the form for her college transfer. Can she get a copy of it now? Apparently it was lost during the move from college in DC to New York.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 5 years ago.

Hello there,

Your granddaughter can certainly get a copy. If she cannot retrieve the copy from the online service she used to file, she can either pay $57 for an exact copy from the IRS, or get a free "transcript". The transcript will include all the line entries and can be used to recreat the return if she does not wish to pay for the copy. Here is the info from the IRS that can be used to get a copy or transcript:

Copy of Tax Return or Tax Transcript: (From IRS website www.irs.gov)

If you need an actual copy of your return, you should complete and mail Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return along with a check or money order for $ 57.00 per tax year made payable to the "United States Treasury". Allow 60 calendar days to receive your copies.

Most needs for tax return information can be met with a tax return transcript or a tax account transcript, rather than an actual copy of the return. The tax return transcript shows information from the return as it was originally filed. A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either the taxpayer or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. Transcripts are provided free of charge. These transcripts may be acceptable substitutes for an actual copy of the return by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services and lending agencies for student loans and mortgages. Check with your agency or lender to be sure.

You can obtain a transcript by calling(NNN) NNN-NNNNor by completing and mailing Form 4506-T (PDF), Request for Transcript of Tax Return, to the address listed in the instructions to request all types of transcript verification of non-filing, and wage/income information.

Transcripts will be mailed directly to you, and should be received within two weeks after the IRS gets your request. Transcripts can be mailed to a third party if you specify this on Form 4506-T. However, you must sign and date the form giving your consent for the disclosure.

Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience: 15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.