Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
586644

I am a new Canadian immigrants, landed in calgary on August

Customer Question

I am a new Canadian immigrants, landed in calgary on August 4th, 2008 and left after 4 days to USA. I do not have any Residence Ties in Canada (House, Driver License, Bank Account, Medical Card)
Am I supposed to pay taxes for this year in Canada???
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for your question. I need some addtional information please.

1. what is your home country?

2. By landed in Calgary on Augsut 4th, do you mean you are a landed immigrant, meaning the Canadian equivalent of a green card. Landed Immigrant is an old classification of what is now called simply "permanent resident" in Canada.

3. From what you are saying it appears you only resided in canada for a total of 4 days in 2008, is that correct? Can you veryify how many days in 2008 you lived in canada.

4. Please tell me how many days you have lived in the United states in 2008.

5. Do you have any Canadian sourced income for 2008?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Edward

1) My home country is Egypt and I am working and paying taxes in USA.

2) Yes I am a permanent resident

3) Correct, I stayed 4 days only in Canada in 2008

4) I lived about 330 days in USA in 2008.

5) I have no Canadian sourced income at all for 2008.

Regards,

Wadie

DearCustomer

Thanks.

As a Canadian permanent resident you have to file a Canadian Return, unless you abandon the residence. It is too late for this year.

so for 2008, by tax treaty you pay taxes on income earned in the U.S. and file a U.S. tax return. Since you have been in the U.S. longer than 183 days you will be fling as a U.S. resident.

By Canadian law, if you live and work overseas with no intention of returning to Canada you do not have to file. However, if you intend to return, then you would have to file taxes also in Canada.

Normally, all canadian permanent residents and citizens are considered to be termporarly out of Canada, and there for must file a return on world wide income.

However, when you disestablish all contact with Canada and establish permanent residence in another country, in this case the U.S. you do not have to file.

Under the conditions you have stated, you would be considered a deemed non-resident and there for only subject to tax and filing requirments for Canadian sourced income:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4056/README.html

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Edwards,

I am planning to move with my family to Canada on July 2009.

I assume the above explaination, (No Filing for 2008) will be fine.

Please advise

wadie

DearCustomer

Since you were in the U.S. longer than 183 days, you met the requirement in the publicaiton of becomeing a residnet in teh US for tax purposes. On that date you became a deeemed non-resident of Canada, so for 2008, you should be able to avoid filing a return.

Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience: GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Edward for the help ang quick answer.

You are welcome. best of luck to you