How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxMomNJ Your Own Question
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 245
Experience:  7 years experience with tax preparation company, over 500 hours of tax courses taken
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxMomNJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my income is $38000. What is my tax

Customer Question

my income is $38000.   What is my tax?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 7 years ago.



Is $38,000 your only income?

Are you married?

Do you have dependents?

Do you own a home?

Do you have any other deductions?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That will be my 2009 income from partial year SS, taxable investments and a little salary. I'm married w/no other dependents. Own my house clear. Paying 2009 property tax this year because i have half year income this year (retired 4/30/08) and not much in 2009. Will itemize for 2008. May not have enough to itemize in 2009. Thanks
Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 7 years ago.

You would like to know how much your tax will be for 2009. Correct?


I will need a breakdown from you.

What amount will be SS?

What are your investments? What portion of the $38,000 come from them?

You say "a little salary" but you mentioned you have retired in 2008. Do you mean a pension?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
$25000 in SS, $13000 in wife's salary, $18000 in taxable investment income (sorry i mess up initially on total. No pension. I guess more my question is how much to i need to pay for my quarterly payments. We will have withholding on salary & SS. I have another $30000 in tax free income from double tax free bonds (no KS state tax) Thanks
Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 7 years ago.

Your SS is going to be partially taxable. Half of the SS benefits are added to your other income, including income excluded from tax. If that amount is over $32,000 (for married filing joint in 2007), part of your benefits will be taxable.


I used the tax calculator on ( and input the figures you have given me. Remember, this is a tax year 2007 estimate.


It appears if your spouse has 11% of her pay withheld for federal taxes, you will not need to have taxes withheld from your SS. It will cover the entire amount of taxes you owe for the year. This is calculating that $5,750 of your SS will be taxable.


This answer may need to be adjusted in 2009, depending on the standard deduction amount and personal exemption amount. However, if your figures remain the same (and are not more), the amount of tax that needs to be withheld will be less (as the standard deduction and personal exemptions amount increase every year).


Please let me know if I can help you further.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience