How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was divorced in 1999 but got back together common law and

Resolved Question:

I was divorced in 1999 but got back together common law and claimed married filing jointly for 1999 - 2003,the we split up and I claimed single till i remaried.My ex is now trying to change her filing status for those years.My question is ,can she do that?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.



After the due date of the tax return, the law does not allow changing a return from joint filing to married filing separate. You can only make the change from filing joint to filing separately if you file the corrected returns before the original due date of the tax return. Since the original due dates have long passed, your ex-spouse will not be able to change the filing status on the returns for those years.


I am giving you a link below to Form 1040X which is used for an amended return. Refer in the top section to Line C for filing status and see the notation.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you.




Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you