jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
3653323

We adopted our grandaughter. At the time, we did not know who

We adopted our grandaughter. At the time, we did not know who her father was. He was later identified, tested, and very upset that he wasn't told he had a child. He is very interested in being a good father and has been supporting his daughter. She has been staying with us, finishing her senior year of high school, but plans to move to his state and attend college. Is there any legal way that we can allow him to claim her on his income tax this year? It would help establish in state tuition for her when she moves, and possibly help with financial aid.

Greetings,

There is a way for you to allow another to claim a child if both parties have paid for at least ten percent of the support of the child during the year by using Form 2120

If he does not pay for any of your granddaughter's support and you provide for all of her support, there is not a way to allow him to claim her on his tax return for the year.

So, if he can pay for at least 10% of her support you can use Form 2120. For more information see Multiple Support Agreement in Publication 501.

I hope this helps explain the tax rules that could allow for another to claim your granddaughter that lived with you (even though I can not guarantee that will be enough for her to claim residency for tuition after she moves).

Best wishes and bless you for caring for your grand daughter.