How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxMomNJ Your Own Question
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 245
Experience:  7 years experience with tax preparation company, over 500 hours of tax courses taken
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxMomNJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is unemployed with 4 children. He gets public assisstance

This answer was rated:

My son is unemployed with 4 children. He gets public assisstance but, I pay for the childrens clothes, their light and gas bill, and others house and non-household items. He does not live with me. Can I claim him and the children on my taxes.

Hi, Renee. Due to the newer IRS qualifications for "Qualifying Child" and "Qualifying Relative", it has become slightly more difficult to determine dependency.


According to the laws, your grandchildren are not eligible to be "Qualifying Children" for you because they do not live with you. They would be eligible to be "Qualifying Relatives" for you; however, in order to be a Qualifying Relative for someone, you cannot be a Qualifying Child of another person. They would, realistically, be Qualifying Children of their father, even though he does not file taxes.

Also, in order to claim a dependency exemption for someone, you must provide at least 50% of their support.

TaxMomNJ and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you