Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
586644

i have had an ea dealing with the irs for two years on my case.due

Customer Question

i have had an ea dealing with the irs for two years on my case.due to an email mixup and me being out of town on business,my 2007 tax returns werent filed by the oct 15th deadline,so i fell out of compliance besides getting them in asap,is there anything else that i should do so they dont start levy proceedings against for falling out temporarilly?i have been s corped for 2 years and been paying taxes bi-weekly to show good faith to them.i owed for 2001-2006 that is what he has been working on with them.please let me know XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. Have you filed your 2007 tax return? Are you making payments now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO HAVENT FILED JUST FOUND OUT YESTERDAY FROM THE EA I AM USING THAT IT ISNT FILED DUE TO THE EMAIL MIXUP.NO NOT MAKING ANY PAYMENTS,HE HAS BEEN GOING BACK AND FORTH WITH THEM FOR 2 YEARS BECAUSE MY INCOME HAS DROPPED DRAMATICALLY.
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 5 years ago.
The first thing you need to do is file your 2007 tax return. The IRS will not change your installment agreement with tax returns not being filed. Once you tax return is file have your EA change the payment agreement you have now with the IRS. If your income dropped dramatically you might be eligible for the part pay installment agreements (PPIA). Part Pay Installment Agreements allow taxpayers relief from a portion of their debt, based on ability (or inability) to pay. You will have to provide a complete and accurate financial information that will be reviewed and verified.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I DONT HAVE AN AGREEMENT YET.I AM WORRIED ABOUT THE FACT THAT SINCE FEB 07 I WAS IN COMPLIANCE WITH THEM AND NOW I FELL OUT BY THE RETURN NOT BEING IN BY OCT 15TH.WHAT SHOULD I DO BESIDES FILING THE RETURN,CALL THEM DONT CALL THEM WHAT??
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 5 years ago.
You should call the IRS and inform them that you will file your 2007 tax return. By not filing the 2007 tax return your agreement with the IRS is void. You have to file the 2007 tax return to enter into a new agreement.
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 5 years ago.

Dear rock,

I have been asked to take a look at this question.

i reviewed the email string, and if you have no agreement now, I concur that you should file the 2007 return, and if you are in arrears. I noticed that you state you have been paying in good faith, but that later on you say you have no installment agreement.

Normally in order for an installment agreement to remain in tact, you have to remain current on your taxes.

So is it your concern that since you have not filed a timely return, that the IRS will now levy your assets to make the collection?