Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee

My hubby has his own business and works for someone now, his

My hubby has his own business and works for someone now, his accountant he uses for his business also does our personal stuff too. My hubby currently claims myself and our kids, and we filed jointly. Is it possible for me to file my work as previously talked about on my own or does it all need to be done together? Can we still file jointly and I do mine seperately, or how would that work?

Please advise!

Dear Kandykis,

I read the previous postings regarding your business/self-employment activities.

There is no reason why you could not legally file married and separate and you and your husband could even split the dependents and some of the other itemized deductions as needed.

However this may not be the best move. The best move would be the one that offers you the greater income tax refund, or the least amount of income tax liability.

consider that if you and your husband earn more than 165,000 jointly, then depending on your circumstances it may benefit you to file separately. But to know for sure you have to run some scenarios.

You can use this tax calculator to determine what it might look like.

On the lines for self-employment/schedule C or business income, for a joint return scenario, use the Net profits on schedule C from your and your husband's added together.