Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS

I am a US resident with Belgian citizenship. If I send each

I am a US resident with Belgian citizenship. If I send each year part of my savings to my retired parents in Belgium, do I need to pay taxes on that amount, or file any forms to make sure I comply with all US tax rules?
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. How much will you send your parents in Belgium?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am looking into 2 scenarios:

1. Send them $100,000 this year, and then in later years some smaller amounts.

2. Send them each year $60,000.

If you give each of your parents any amount over $12,000 (for 2008) you must report the amount over $12,000 ($26,000 for both parents) on Form 709, United States Gift Tax Return ( . No tax is due on the gift until your lifetime gift tax exclusion of $ 1 million is use up. If you give your parents $100,000 for 2008 you will have to report a gift in the amount of $74,000 (100,000 - 26,000 = 74,000). If you are married your exclusion will be $24,000 for each parent and you would have to report a gift in the amount of $52,000. You can read more about gift tax at,,id=107815,00.html