MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.

I used to work a a factory 10 miles from my house. I was transferred

Customer Question

I used to work a a factory 10 miles from my house. I was transferred to a different factory 95 miles from my house. I drive every day to this new factory. I am not reimbursed for any of this milage. About 2 times a week I carry parts from one of the factories to the other in my car. Can I deduct this milage from my taxes, and if so, how do I go about doing that.
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 7 years ago.

The mileage to/from home to your place of work, no matter how far is considered to be personal mileage.

On the days you go to the distant factory only, none of your mileage is deductible. On the days you stop at the near factory first, the mileage from the near factory to the far factory is allowed as a deduction.

The deductible mileage would be a miscellaneous itemized deduction. The total of all miscellaneous itemized deductions that exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income would be deductible.

I have provided a link to IRS Publication 463. See page 14 for details on how to determine business miles.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the help