How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask The Guy Behind the Tree Your Own Ques...
The Guy Behind the Tree
The Guy Behind the Tree , Experienced Investor & Financier
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1387
Experience:  Don't tax you, don't tax me, tax the guy behind the tree.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
The Guy Behind the Tree is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has two children who live in Europe. He pays $4500/mo

Customer Question

My husband has two children who live in Europe. He pays $4500/mo for their care and pays for summer camps, private tuition and travel and airfare for time in the US. He feels discriminated against because his children, while US citizens, do not live in the US and therefore his expenses are not tax deductible. He insists this must be an error, that there must be a reasonable way to deduct his expenses notwithstanding this situation. Please advise.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  The Guy Behind the Tree replied 7 years ago.
Your husband should know that when I paid those same expenses for my own son (we both live in the USA) they are not deductible for me either... nor are they deductible just because they are "for the children" for any other USA taxpayer.

What IS available to most US taxpayers is the "standard deduction" for dependents... which of course comes nowhere near what it actually costs to provide for children.

Private tuition is generally not deductible. US-based taxpayers who own real estate get to pay real estate taxes to educate other children and get to pay AGAIN if they send their own children to private school.

If a child has medical expenses in excess of a certain percentage of adjusted gross income, that excess is usually deductible. But that's about it.

Your accountant is correct.

And most of the taxpayers of the USA share your husband's frustration.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I would like clarification.


I understand that all the expenses outside of the standard deduction are not deductible per your response; however, I am not clear on whether the standard deduction can be taken for the children when they live in another country. That is also his concern, that at a minimum, he should get a deduction for children living in another country.


Our accountant is not giving him this credit either.


Your advice so far has been very helpful, just need this further clarification, thank you.



Expert:  The Guy Behind the Tree replied 7 years ago.
There is a residency test for taking the standard deduction for "qualifying child" standard deduction.

"...Residency Test

To meet this test, your child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. There are exceptions for temporary absences, children who were born or died during the year, kidnapped children, and children of divorced or separated parents.
Temporary absences.   Your child is considered to have lived with you during periods of time when one of you, or both, are temporarily absent due to special circumstances such as:





      Vacation, or

      Military service.


From the IRS Publication 501 that can be reviewed here:

Unfortunately, because of the residency requirement, if the children do not live with your husband more than half of any given calendar year, the standard deduction cannot be taken.

Does this seem unfair? Yes. Just another one of the many oddities of US income tax law.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience

Related Tax Questions