Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
586644

As an out of state homeowner in South Carolina, Beaufort County,

As an out of state homeowner in South Carolina, Beaufort County, my Property taxes are already above and beyond my New Jersey property taxes. Now because I decided to try to rent the property down there to cover the tax expense I received another bill for personal property (The House is close to empty) . My question is that on the second bill I am being taxed for all the same things as on the realestate tax bill, such as county tax, sch oper, sch debt, fire, totaling an additonal $457.00/year to my already $4,369.06 property tax bill. I do not understand what is going on, but it seems I am being double taxed.

DearCustomer

Thank you for your question.

There are a number of things most likely going on. I am unabel togive you a thourgh determination, since I am not the prpoperty tax assesor, and do not know what he or she is thinking.

But lets look at how the SC property tax law treats these kinds of property. What first comes to mind is the so called 100,000 dollar exemption.

100,000 exemption: SC allows, automatically, a 100,000 dollar exemption from property tax for your primary home. When you convert a primary home to rental use, you lose that exemption. The exemption does not apply to vacation homes, second homes, or rental property.

How the property is assesed will be based on it statuts at anytime during the year; so we could expect that the state would reassess or adjuste your assessment without the 100,000 exemption. This could be expected to raise your tax by the millage rate at least by the 100,000.

In addition, the assesmetn on rental property includes what the property is expected to bring in on revenues for the year.

Try this out and see if it fits. If not, lets look deeper.

I would need to know the actual appraised value of the property (assesed value) at least from your last property tax and realestate property tax bills.

I would also need to know what items were included in your property tax bills in question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was not previously receiving the 100,000 discount. As for the assesment on what the property is projected to bring in, I dont understand how I can be taxed on a projection. So far I have been unable to rent it other than for 5 months that a friend of the realitor needed a place to stay until their house went to settlement. Rental companies do not want to deal with it because the dock is in disrepair, so it most likely will not be rented again. I am not there to over see any problems that should arise. graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I tried to attach my tax bills, did you get them? If not is there an e-mail address I can send them to?

DerCustomer

I apologize but your photos did not show up.

The 100,000 was to have been automaticaly included; but if this home in SC was not your primary residence, then you are correct, you would have not received it.

This means they have assesed you on the property as a rental based on projected earnings.

But, as you said, you have a high occupancy rate.

So you can appeal the assesment. The success rate of such appeals is in the range of 30 to 35 percent.

http://www.bcgov.net/Assessor/appeal.php

NOTE: To attach tax bills you need to scan them as JPG images first and then upload them.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Sorry I can't seem to get the documents attached to this page, because of the size restrictions. Anyway, I wanted to originally know why I was being taxed for the same things on the two seperate bills, and I am unable to show you what I mean so this really has not helped me. Thankyou anyway,[email protected]

DearCustomer

I see this question has closed. But we should still be able to have followup. If you can provide me a seperately itemized summary of the two bills; and if you can provide me the address of the property, I may still be able to help you. You will have to reopen the question for us to finish this up.

Ed

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
LaughingHi Mr. Johnson, I finally figured it out. Lets try again. Thanks Conniegraphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

graphicUndecidedSmile

DerCustomer

Thank you for your question.

I examined the bills, and I talked to the assesor regardilng your property. Your first instincts were correct. This is two property tax bills for the same property and elements.

I was assured by the assesor that this is the practice by S.C. Law that the larger bill is for the property, land and building based on residential assesment rules.

AND that the second lesser bill is for the builidng only as a rental unit, based on projected income.

The assesor's office stated that the second bill, comes from the auditor's office, and that they would assume a property is a rental if it is not owner occupied.

You can appeal this and work out a solution by contacting the auditor at(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>