Cassandra
Cassandra, Tax Preparer
Experience:  8yrs experience in taxation for individuals. CTEC Registered and an Authorized E-filer with the IRS
9608797

I am a self employed sales manager. If I hold a business meeting

I am a self employed sales manager. If I hold a business meeting from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm, covering sales techniques etc, and provide my sales people lunch during that meeting, can I deduct 100% of it, or do I have to file it under meals and entertainment and deduct only 50% of the expense?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Cassandra replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomerbr />
This is actually one of those special situations where you are able to deduct 100% of your meal expense. Lunch ordered in for a staff meeting is , the only other time you can have a 100% deduction is when you buy lunch or dinner for your staff on the working premise, as you are having them work overtime.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Just a "clarification" before I approve payment. The meeting I conducted was not for salaried "staff", but for self-employed independent insurance agents who work as "sales managers/coordinators"... I am the self employed supervisor of these coordinators working as a self employed "State Coordinator" for the same Insurance Company.

Does this make any difference... a friend of mine told me, that if it's a definitive "business meeting" where something is "Presented, Explained, Etc" that it qualifies for 100% deduction. Just wanting "clarification" b/c, I'm not sure the "Overtime" reasoning flies for me given the folks "self-employed Status".

Thanks,

Mike McCarthy

Expert:  Cassandra replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for asking for clarification. My first answer was based upon the fact that you were the employer.

Since these are actually Business associates (Independent contractors), then this will only qualify for the 50% deduction for meals and entertainment.

Only employers can deduct 100% for staff Lunch meetings.

I apologize for my misunderstanding regarding employer status in your first question.