Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

Hi, I am a member in a sole-member llc A (disregarded entity

Customer Question

Hi, I am a member in a sole-member llc "A" (disregarded entity for tax purposes). If llc "A" is a sole member in another llc (LLC "B") (another disregarded entity), what tax forms am i required to file (federal forms)? Also what if llc "A" is a member in another llc (llc "C") that is considered a partnership for tax purposes (multi-member)? What forms are required? Or, what if it is a shareholder in an S corp. what forms are required? please note all forms required by llc A, B, C, and S corp
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

The single member LLC's (A&B) are disregarded for purposes of the LLC itself having to file a tax return. As a single member of an LLC, you would report your income and related expenses on Schedule C. If you are a single member of two separate LLC's, and assuming that the two LLC's relate to different types of business, then you would fill out a separate Schedule C for your income and expenses related to each the A and B LLC.

If you are also a member of an LLC partnership, the partnership itself would be required to file Form 1065 with the IRS. The partnership would also issue each partner a K-1 form to report all income from the partnership. The partner would then report his income from the K-1 form on the regular 1040 tax return.

If you are also a shareholder in an S Corporation, the S Corp would file a federal return on Form 1120S. The S Corp would issue W-2 forms to any shareholder who was paid a salary, and the S Corp would also issue K-1 forms to each shareholder to report all other income from the S Corp. The shareholder would then report the income from the W-2 and the K-1 using the regular 1040 tax return.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so, just to clarify, if llc "a" owns llc "b" then i personally do a schedule c for llc "A" and llc "B" (2 schedule cs)

and if llc "A" is a member in llc "C" then one of the k-1s goes straight to me, or to llc "A"? do i record my percentage of profit in llc "C" on my own 1040 or on llc "A"s schedule C? (sort of the same question for the s-corp)

thanks in advance for your help
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

Hello againCustomer

If you own both LLC "A" and LLC "B" as a single member, then you would file two separate Schedule C's, and you would report the income and associated expeneses separately on each Schedule C for each LLC "A" and "B".

The K-1 forms that are issued by the partnership and the S Corp will go directly to you as an individual, and not to the LLC. The income from those K-1 forms is recorded directly as part of your 1040 form, and is not included on either of the Schedule C's that you file.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hi, just to make absolutely sure, i don't own llc b and llc a. i own llc a, and llc a owns llc b. is it still two seperate schedule c's? same thing is with llc c and s corp. llc a owns both of them. (but with others as well). do i just treat it as if i own all of them separately, and llc a does not own them?