Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
586644

I have recieved a tax assesment from california franchise tax

I have recieved a tax assesment from california franchise tax for the years 2005 and 2006 . I know I don't owe any taxes .
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for your question.

Was this an assessment for corporate or business taxes?

If so what form is your business? LLC, S-corp, etc

Or is this for personal icome taxes?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

it is a personal income tax issue..............I have lots of capital gain losses carried forward( that is why I was taking easy).clearly the assesor did not take that into consideration. They have assess way above what is reasonable ?????

what do I need to do to first get a delay to file a protest or a tax return ..and second, all my taxes are either capital gain or loss ..I have alomost no regular income as I'm retired. and it is kinda complicated to file .......do you know of any one who can help in my area

DearCustomer

What causes me concern here is that you say you have ALMOST no other income, but in order to be more accurate, I would need to assess your situation in the same light as the Franchise tax board.

So i need more information.

1. You state you have capital gains and losses: is this from stocks, bonds, realestate,etc?

2. What specifically are your othere classes of income retired or otherwise.

3. What was your adjusted gross income on the federal 1040?

4. Did you file taxes for those years in question?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

answer : it was in the form of stock but mostly options .

answer : bank interst

answer ; $119,000.

I did file for the year 2005 federal but not state

I have over $900,000. of tax losses carried fowards from prior years..all from stocks and options

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I also would like to thank you for your kind attention

DearCustomer

thank you for your question.

OK so here is the deal.

I see where the Franchise board is coming from.

In the U.S. you can not avoid fling the state tax returns (or federal) even if you have suffieint capital losses to avoid tax. In order to take advantage of those losses you have to go thruogh the process of filing the state returns.

You are also limited in how much losses you can take in carry forward.

during the tax years in question, california only allowed capital losses to be taken against capital gains. so you would still be able to end up with some taxable income related to the interest.

Another potential element that California may be looking at is the kind of stock options you had and your timing in the exercise of them. it is possible to encur taxable income for stock options that are issued as compensation. It is not necessary to explore your kinds of options and the treatment of them, because that would be to complicated here. If they were new optiosn this year, I could do it. THE Franchise tax board has the information and you would have to deal with that. You would have to find out why they think you owe that much money. BUT I see possibilities.

california capital gains and capital loss carry over rules are found in this document: http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/06_forms/06_540dins.pdf

to fix this, you need to pull a copy of your Federal 2005 return, and file a state return to figure the actual tax. If it is different, then you would appeal it. (you have to do the math). You can fist appeal with a letter, addressing each years tax.

(yor 2005 california return will affect your 2006 return, so if you filed a state return for 2006, you would now have to file an amended return.)

File an appeal and include the 2005 reutrn and the amended 2006 return. Ask them to please refigure the tax based on the enclosed returns.

Alternatively you can ask for an audit. (not recommended, if you never filed the 2005 return).

California, generally, only allows a capital loss carryover of 3,000 dollars per year. So you may still owe taxes, even though you have hugh losses.

You can find a copy of your California rights and appeal process here: http://www.ftb.ca.gov/aboutftb/taxpayer_advocate/index.shtml

Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience: GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee