How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how much will my severance pay be taxed

This answer was rated:

how much will my severance pay be taxed?

What is your other income besides Severance pay? What is your filing status?

Is your question on taxes that will be withheld from the severance check?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello RD. My income was $33,000 and I currently file "Married filing jointly". Yes my question is how much taxes will be withheld from my severance check. My (before taxes) is $10,823.14.


Normally the severance pay is considered as a Supplemental wage and a flat rate- 25%- tax may be withheld from such pay.


Note that-

Since the supplemental wages are less than $1 million, the employer may generally choose to use either:

  • the optional (25 percent) flat rate; or
  • the aggregate method.

The optional 25 percent flat rate method may not be used, however, unless income tax has been withheld from the employee's regular wages during the calendar year of the payment of the supplemental wages or the preceding calendar year, and the supplemental wages are separately stated from regular wages (in addition to being less than $1 million).

If all the requirements for the optional 25 percent flat rate method are not met, then the aggregate method must be used. To calculate the aggregate method, supplemental wages are added to regular wages for the most recent payroll period this year as if they were a single payment. The tax is then determined on the single payment based on the tax tables for the appropriate payroll period and using the employee's IRS Form W-4. The tax already withheld from the regular wages is then subtracted, and the remaining tax is subtracted from the supplemental wages.


Since you income is $33,000 and with severance pay of $10,823.14 you will be in lower tax brackets(presuming your spouse does not have income)- you should request your employer to consider aggregate method so that the tax withheld is lower and you get a higher severance check.



Let me know if you have any question.


Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.



RD and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much RD. You have helped me out tremendously!

I will be using this service again.

Thanks again!!

You are very welcome....


Thanks for using Just Answer.