Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
586644

WHAT IS A TAX CLEARANCE CODE AND HOW DO I HOW CAN I REQUEST

Customer Question

WHAT IS A TAX CLEARANCE CODE AND HOW DO I HOW CAN I REQUEST ONE FOR THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA. HOW MUCH DO IT COST AND HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE ME TO RECIVE APPROVAL OF ONE
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 5 years ago.

Dear goubaby,

Thank you for your question. I need just a bit more information.

How and where you go depends on the purpose. Just so we are on the same sheet of music, can you tell me what the purpose is in your case: i.e. is this for an estate, transfer of stock, etc?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
MR. JOHNSON, IRECEIVED A LOAN FROM A TRUSTED FRIEND OVERSEES AND I HAD ALMOST COMPLETED THE TRANSFER INTO MY ACOUNT FROM AN ONLINE ACCOUNT WHEN THE SCREEN POP UP AND SAID ENTER YOUR TAX CLEARANCE CODE. I HAD NO IDEA WHAT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT AND NOW THEY SAID THE MOMNIES WOULD ONLY STAY IN THEIR FOR A FEW DAYS TO SUBMIT THE CODE OR 1800 DOLLARS. UNFORTUNATELY I HAVE NEITHER PLEASE RESPOND ASAP.

What institution is the money coming from?

What institutin is the money going to?

What country is the money coming from?

this sounds like a code that is needed for an international money transfer, but it also sounds like a scam that I am familiar with. How did you meet this friend?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
COMING FROM NIGERIA. THE BANK IS BOUNTY TRUST.COM MY BANK SAID IT LOOKED OKAY THEY JUST DID NOT KNOW WHAT A TAX CLEARANCE WAS. I MEET HIM AT A CHURCH FUNCTION YEARS AGO.IN TENNESSEE. A WORLD WIDE CONFERENCE. THE LOAN IS FOR RECONSTRUCTION FOR MY CHURCH AND TO HELP ME GET CAUGHT UP ON SOME THINGS. IT'S NOT A BANK 'S AN INDIVIDUAL

DearCustomer

I am afraid to say, but your friend has involved you in a scam. I understand it is not a bank but is an individual. BUT inernational wire transfers have to go through a bank or agent such as western union. There are international bank wire transfer codes, but you would not have to pay for it.

Also there are tax clearnce certificates, but you also do not pay for those. The clearance certificatre is to verify that you are not required to pay tax or that you have paid taxes on taxable transfers. these are normally for such things as the sale and transfer of stock, not for receiving a loan. Even in Nigera, loans are not taxable.

You would not have to pay for such a certificate, unless it was a small service charge not to exceed a few dollars U.S.

This 1800 dollar fee is known as a 419 fraud or scam, a so called advanced fee scam. Several million dollas a day are taken on this scam every day in the U.S. they are quite successful, because thier fraud has gotten quite sophisticated. The 419 fraud relates to a law in Nigeria that essentially has caused this type of fraud to become a major industry in Nigeria, which is tolerated and permitted to thrive.

You will pay the 1800 and never see the loan.

I checked out he "bounty trust.com bank". when you click on all about them, you find that they list three large banks from which they evolved through a series of mergers. At least one is specifically named as being one of the bigest banks in the UK.

So, I ran down the history of the named merger banks. I discovered that:

1. None of the banks were listed or had ever been listed as either domestic or foreign banks operating in the UK with the UK's. FSA: (financial services authority). Even the named UK bank has never been registered in the UK.

2. further scruitiney showed that all merger banks were nigerian banks. and two of them are linked to advanced fee fraud letters circulating around the world. This bank, the BountyTrust.com, is yet another level to through off authorities.

3. they indicaed that thier bank had offices or a presence in the U.S. Unless that presence is merely a visiting employee, there are no registered office in New York or anywhere else in the U.S. All foreign banks opeating in the U.S. are required by the Patriot Act to register with the Federal Reserve.

The list of banks form Nigeria (1) can be found here, and it is not bounty:

http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/iba/200803/bycntry.htm

http://www.fraudwatchers.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-3101.html

http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Nigerian/ministry.htm

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I SAY HELP ME GET A TAX CLEARANCE CODE AND LET ME GET THAT MONEY OUT OF THAT ACCOUNT. THIS IS WHY MR. EDWARD OSAS FROM LOAN HOME ALLIANCE TOLD ME NOT TO TALK TO ANYONE AND WHEN I TOLD HIM I CALLED THE IRS HE HIT THE CEILING.OKAY LET'S GET MEACODE/

Dear goubaby,

He hit the ceiling when you called the IRS becasue this is a fraud. Look friend, I am telling you there is no such thing with regard to your loan. I am sorry, but I can not help you with that. Whey don't you call the bank and pay the 1800 and get the code.

But trust me, there is no code, this is a fraud. You will not get the money.

The osas name is XXXXX XXXXX to some of those scam letters.

http://scour.com/search/web/MR.%20EDWARD%20OSAS%20%20fraud

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT

M From: This sender is DomainKeys verified "EFCC DEPARTMENT" <XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX>Add sender to Contacts To:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

ATTN EVERYONE:ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL CRIMES COMMISSION (EFCC)

We understand that you are checking out several loan offers made on the internet from our verifications on the internet because this is the Economic and financial crimes commission of Nigeria and we are commissioned in Nigeria to fight against crime and fraud on the internet.

We have made surveys and from report gathered from our investigations, we found out that 30% of fraud in the world is from this Country Nigeria and this is sad however and we have taken it upon our self not to rest until people that bring disrepute to this country is brought to book and from our investigations, internet fraud is the most frequent among this fraudulent activities and so we decided to scan entirely through the internet to search for those in need of help who may become victims if not properly informed and thus notify people on the activities going on today.

You are to note that they come either by selling you an item or any business transaction mostly cunning you into trying to obtain loans from them and you loose your money along the line, hence we want to notify and inform you not to hesitate to inform us if you are suspecting any fraud or there is any attempt on you so that we can investigate and we are assuring you that we will get them wherever they are and bring them to book and if they have already taken your money, it will be refunded to you however for the fact that loans on the internet are about the most frequently used means of these scams, we hereby wish to notify you that here in Nigeria, we have only ten registered, licensed and government approved money lenders and their names are XXXXX XXXXX

(1) Name: Mr Micheal podolski of Plantinium Loans Ltd.
(2) Name: Mr Gowon of Gowon Loan Lending Firm
(3) Name: Mr Edward Osas of Loan Alliance Home Ltd.
(4) Name: Mr Keke Chan of Keke Loans Affairs Inc.
(5) Name: Mrs Vera Dorwin of Kordy Financial Loan Firm
(6) Name: Mr Colvin Whyte of Easy Home of Money Lending
(7) Name: Mr Alade Peter of Peters Loan Investment Home
(8) Name: Mr Richard Harvey of Harvey Trades and Loans
(9) Name: Mrs Vanessa Young Loan Home.
(10) Name: Mrs Sylvia Chua of Becky Chua Forex and Loan Firms

We hereby wish to warn and advice that the above listed names are XXXXX XXXXX of the registered, licensed and government approved money lenders in Nigeria and any other outside these above names are XXXXX XXXXX and if you do hear from any one else outside the above listed names of registered, licensed and government approved money lenders, do not hesitate to inform us.

Note : If you wish to contact any of them above for financial Help,you are to inform us so that we can give you there contact details.

Mrs Farida Waziri
EFCC Chairman.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT

M From: This sender is DomainKeys verified "EFCC DEPARTMENT" Add sender to Contacts To:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

(9) Name: Mrs Vanessa Young Loan Home.

Mrs Farida Waziri
EFCC Chairman.

Dear goubaby,

Thank you for the information.

I am willing to admit that I am wrong about something, but his still appears fraudulent.

The reason is:

1. There is no such thing as a tax clearance code or certificate for loans in Nigeria. None. YOu are being asked to pay up front 1800 dollars.

2. the email proxy to add to contacts in the heading you provided is: efccdepts@gmail.com a gmail account.

3. Letters similar to yours have gone out from the ECC. Simply that a person has been listed by the EFCC, assuming your domain verification was really the EFCC's domain, (I can not tell from the information appearing in you transmission). If you give me the domain that you verified, i would be better able to tell.

http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2486

4. he gets up set when you say you go to the IRS.

Note that these scammers are highly sophisticate and set up clone websites, and email proxy's to emmulate official organizations.

Think of this. What reason would I have of leading you astray. What possible motivation could I have, for 7.50 cents, (my share of the question fee), to lead you down the wrong path.

The Nigerian government itself is corrupt. This is the most corrupt nation on the planet. Nigeria alone, is responsible for more than 30% of all Internet and electronic scams and fraud, according to the U.S. Justice Department. The corruption of the government in Nigeria, is sited in a U.S. Department of Commerce report as a major barrier to international trade with Nigeria. (it is so pervasive, that it is referred to as a trade barrier)

So lets assume this is the one legitimate lender, and he is asking for an 1800 dollar fee to get the loan, and is calling it a tax clearance code or certificate. So you are a hard person to convince. I understand that people do not like to think they would be frauded by a friend or someone they met. I understand you are desperate for this loan.

I once paid an expedite fee, for example, directly to the pocket of the Minister of Interior in Mexico, to get a business visa for a superstar sales person to attend a sales conference in Cabo Mexico. I was told by my attorney, they could approve the Indian Citizen for his visas, but it would require an expedite fee. I know Mexico does not have expedite fees. So I asked the attorney: so is this fee going directly to the government or into the pocket of the minister of interior? The response was, "sometimes, mr. J, that is how business is done in Mexico. I paid the 1,000. BUT, I knew it was fraud. The cost of the person not going to the meeting was far great than the 1,000. Not attending could have cost us several million.

IN your case, teh difference is, that there is no guarantee you will get your loan.

At this point, I would still say it is a scam.

If you do not have the money to pay, then you will need to borrow that. The following link will be a good place to borrow 1800. http://www.prosper.com

You will need to contact the person you are getting the money from and ask them to guide you in getting the certificate and pay what ever you need.

Some people have to learn the hard way. I have spent 4 hours on this question. that is less than 2 dollars an hour. So it is not about the money. It is about doing service. So friend, Please do not accept his answer. It is free to you. You will be losing too much other money. I consider this my probono public service announcement.

good luck. AND if you get the loan, pleas let me know.