Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
586644

I work for a granite countertop fabrication & installation

I work for a granite countertop fabrication & installation company in Charlotte, NC (Mecklenburg County). Our accountant claims that the taxable amount on jobs depends on which county the billing address is located in. Is this true? I think that if a customer comes to Mecklenburg county and purchases a product they need to pay Mecklenburg County taxes not the taxes charged at the location of their billing address. Please help- this is causing a lot of problems with our bookkeeping.Thank you!
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

This depends on how the products are used by the purchaser. By law the sales tax is based on the delivery address.

This works well for obvious cases where a counter top is delivered to a home. (a specific address).

But if you are charging sales tax for a contractor, who is now going to use that product at a job site at various locations through out the state, then you have no way of knowing where the product is to be used.

Technically, if you deliver the product to the job site, then you would charge sales tax for that delivery point.

If the customer is coming to your site to pick up the product, technkically the product is delivered at the point of sale. it is taken posession of there. So you would be correct to assess sales tax a the point of sale.

What happens however, is that the customer is responsible for use tax based on the difference of rate from the county in which the product is to be used.

It looks to me like your company is considering the product delivered to the purchaser's address, when it is picked up.

Techically, you are correct.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So we need to charge county sales tax according to the delivery address where are product will end up?

Dear Stone,

No that is not what I am saying.

If your company delivers the product to an address, then yes you need to charge sales tax based on the delivery address.

If the customer picks it up you charge sales tax at the point of sale.

Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience: GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee