Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
9313471

HOW DO I CANCEL OR REVOKE A FILED TAX RETURN AND SUBMIT A CORRECT

HOW DO I CANCEL OR REVOKE A FILED TAX RETURN AND SUBMIT A CORRECT ONE?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. You cannot revoke a filed tax return after the due date. If you want to change a tax return you must file a From1040, Amended Tax Return, (<a href="http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf-f1040x.pdf" target="_blank">www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf)</a>. If the changes you make will increase the tax due the IRS will apply failure to pay penalty and interest on the additional taxes due. If you changes you make will decrease the tax due the IRS will issue a refund if the amended tax return is file within 3 years from the date the return was considered filed. April 15, 2005 is the last year you can go back and receive a refund.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

In Ex/Re Spouse's Married joint return, preparing now, do I submit an Amendment along with his other forms...most which were not in mine when filed earlier?

Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
What year are you going to amended?   Did you filed married filing jointly or separately with the original return?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Need to change the 2007 filed earlier, just me, and forgetfully did it "single" as it had been for many years before re-wedding Ex. Married but filed single.

Spouse wants Married, joint. on 2007...and is trying to prepare and file now, and has extension for his.

Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
You will change your filing statue from single to married filing jointly on the Form 1040x (www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf) . You will add you spouse income and any deductions your spouse have.