Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee

if a parent is disabled can they be someones dependant

my mother is disabled and recieving social Security that exceeds the $3,400 minimum however I provide over half of her support, buy all her food, provide all her transportation to apointments, medical bills, and such. I just got a letter from IRS saying I can't claim her? do I have any recourse or deductions I can claim if I can't claim her dependant?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for your question.

I need some additional information.

1. Which year of taxes was she denied for?

2. What kind of social security benefit is she receiving: SSI (supplemental social security income), SSD, or social security retirement.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This was for 2007. She was receiving SSI and Disability but hit retirement age so now is just getting Social Security Retirement. She does not live with me.

DearCustomer

Thank you. I juste wanted to verify the 2007 income requirement of 3400 or more. So this would be correct. However, for 2008, the income limit is 3500.

As long as your mother met the following conditions, then for medical expenses, you can make the deductions. Remember, you can only deduct medical expenses to the extent that they exceed 7.5% of adjusted gross income

A qualifying relative is a person:

Who is your: Son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild), Brother, sister, or a son or daughter of either of them,
Father, mother, or an ancestor or sibling of either of them (for example, your grandmother, grandfather, aunt, or uncle), Stepbrother, stepsister, stepfather, stepmother, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law, or

Any other person (other than your spouse) who lived with you all year as a member of your household if your relationship does not violate local law,

Who was not a qualifying child (see Qualifying Child earlier) of any other person for 2007, and

For whom you provided over half of the support.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the medical expenses are not more than 7.5% of my income however they are more than that of her income. she gets income wise a little over $1,100 a month, and her monthly medical is approx $150 unless she's in the hospital then it's more which is the case this year but not in 2007.

DearCustomer

This would mean that she could claim medical expenses on her own return, but it is moot. She probabably has not tax liability based on her adjsuted gross income and filing status, and sources of income. Hence the deductions are lost.

If you were providing her inhome nursing care, you may also include some of those expenses.

Unfotuantely, unless her income is less than 3500 a year, you would not be able to include her as a dependent under the current rules.

Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience: GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee