Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses

The Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 provides for 50% BONUS depreciation.

The Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 provides for 50% BONUS depreciation. Using a $100,000 MACRS 5 year property not eligible for section 179 purchase in 2008 as an example, can you deduct $50,000 in the first year (100,000 X .5) or can you deduct $60,000 in the first year (100,000 X .5) + (50,000 X .2) or is there another answer? I'm assuming that the property is not eligible for section 179I've seen it shown both ways. Also, are there any bonus depreciation provisions that are included in the 700 Billion bailout package being voted on 10/3/08 by the house

Thank you for using justanswer. Your first year depreciation total based on the above information would be the $60,000 Please see below:

A depreciation calculator

Small Business Administration - Economic Stimulus Package

I've also given you a link re: the highlights of the 700 billion dollar proposed bail out

Bush Asking For $700 Billion Bailout

I hope this helps

If you have found my answer helpful, please click the green "accept' button as it is the only way we get paid.

Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This is the first time that I've used this service and somehow did not realize that you had responded. I'm sorry that it took me so long to "accept" your answer. You did a fine job answering my first question. My second question was not answered but I realize that, short of reading through the several hundred pages of the bailout plan, it could have been very difficult to answer that.

Thanks for what you did answer.
Thank you for the opportunity to help.