How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how does my father avoid a massive capital gain , he rents

Customer Question

how does my father avoid a massive capital gain , he rents an apartment sold his home five years ago and his business 2 1/2 years ago didnt do anything with the money except pay his rent now he is looking to purchase a new home and is worried about the 2007 capital gain on that money
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.

Dear Jonny,


Thanks for your question.


I am confused a bit by your dates. I can answer this, but I need some clarification.


Can you tell me this:


On what date did he sell the home? Did he report the home sale on his taxes when he sold that?


When you say he rents an apartment, do you mean he lives in an apartment, or he has an apartment he rents out for income?


you mentio a business form 2 and 1/2 years ago. Is this what he sold now? and what was the date he sold it?


Is it the home or the business sales that he wants to protect from capital gains.?


What kind of business was it?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
they sold thier home in 2003 for 740000 the payoff of that loan was around 450000 then the business which he inheritated from his father but had to rebuild from the la riots in 1992 ? 1994? something like that , he got a loan from the sba at a low interest but reguardless the property sold in 2005 or 2006 my dad financed it and recieves 2500.00 a month and 25000.00 yearly one time every year , he lost his business and was forced to sell , because of his age as well my mom is currently on state disability and they rent an apartment in hollywood for 2800.00 a month
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.

Dea jonny,


Thank you. I need to make sure I understand the situation before I answer so that I give you the correct information. do not worry, these back and forth answers and questions do not affect pricing. it is included in the one price.


Your patience is appreciated.


I understand that he sold his home in 2003, for seven hundred forty thousand dollars (740,000 dollars). did he report the sale on his income tax for that year?


I also understand that he sold his business in 2005 or 2006? ANd this is the property for which you are concerned with the capital gains tax. Is this correct?


You indicate your father financed the business and receives 2,500 dollars a month plus 25,000 dollars one time a year. Do i understand correctly that this is a payment for the business? Did he sell the business on an installment loan to the buyer?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes he reported the sale of his home and yes he financed the buyer of his business my concern is the gain for the sale of his business yes an installment loan thats correct
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.



Thank you for the additional information. I can address this issue now.


So the home is not what we have to be concerened with. that is good.


With the information you have given, I can not provide a perfect solution. The perfect solution would have been to transfer the business to a trust, and have the trust sell the property. Ther would still have been capital gains, but the trust would have paid it. Set up as a charitable remainder trust. See a descripiton here:


It is not to late to see a trust attonrey to see about transfering the sell contract into trust and letting them receive the balance of payments.


for now, for the past year, the best he can do is file his taxes for a installment sell. This defers tax on the unpaid balance. IN otherwards he only pays capital gains tax as he gets paid for the installments.


He would file taxes using the following form:


So that he does not get his taxes mixed up, he neesd to use the form for the correct date. You can get the prior year forms at:,,id=98339,00.html


I recommend using Turbo Tax for the appropraite year to do the taxes. These are still for sell for as far as 5 years back.




JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience