Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

can i claim the child support that i pay out on my taxes at

can i claim the child support that i pay out on my taxes at the end of the year?

HelloCustomer

Unfortunately, child support payments are not allowed as a tax deduction, nor does the person receiving the child support payments have to include the amount in their taxable income.

The only payments you make to a former spouse which are tax deductible are payments which are classified as alimony, and the spouse receiving the alimony would also report the alimony as taxable income.

I am giving you a link below to a section of the IRS website which discusses these rules.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:6S_1iXiECz0J:www.irs.gov/faqs/faq4-5.html+irs+child+support&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us