How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can i claim the child support that i pay out on my taxes at

This answer was rated:

can i claim the child support that i pay out on my taxes at the end of the year?



Unfortunately, child support payments are not allowed as a tax deduction, nor does the person receiving the child support payments have to include the amount in their taxable income.


The only payments you make to a former spouse which are tax deductible are payments which are classified as alimony, and the spouse receiving the alimony would also report the alimony as taxable income.


I am giving you a link below to a section of the IRS website which discusses these rules.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you.


Merlo and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you