Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

can i claim the child support that i pay out on my taxes at

can i claim the child support that i pay out on my taxes at the end of the year?

Unfortunately, child support payments are not allowed as a tax deduction, nor does the person receiving the child support payments have to include the amount in their taxable income.

The only payments you make to a former spouse which are tax deductible are payments which are classified as alimony, and the spouse receiving the alimony would also report the alimony as taxable income.

I am giving you a link below to a section of the IRS website which discusses these rules.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.