AttySince1978
AttySince1978,

The state of Califronia just levied my bank account and now

Customer Question

The state of Califronia just levied my bank account and now I'm out $4k. They say I owe from 1997 and 1998 taxes which is their estimate (I had no income those years). I have not had a chance to file my taxes as I'm still gathering info. Is there a way for me to have them stop draining my account? The phone numbers they give me goes nowhere and I am in dire need of the funs they grabbed.
Category: Tax
Expert:  AttySince1978 replied 5 years ago.
The Bank will only give the full amount to the State if that money is in your account. In other words, the States sends Bank A a levy in the amount of $3,000 against your account which only has a $2,000 balance. The Bank will not give the State any portion from your account because it has less then the full amount. I strongly suggest that you carry a small minimum balance in your account until you have this tax problem worked out. Talk to the local IRS man that is handling your case and try and work out a compromise amount less than the full amount. Before you talk to him, you should have all your past tax returns completed. I hope this helps you. Also, call the local Bar Association and ask for a referral attorney on a pro bono (free) basis. Many law firms have young attorneys who must do some pro bono cases during the year as a condition of employment. Good Luck.

Check ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my response.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is not information that I can use. I already know this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My information tells me that the bank must hold the funds for 15 days and I have a chance to appeal for the return of the funds if I can prove hardship. How should I do this? This is the answer I need. Also, the state says I owe $10k. The bank has given them $1500 and $3900. Your statement about the bank not surrendering the fund becuase the amount is too low is incorrect.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The answer I recieved is not worth $15. It is parlty incorrect and incomplete.

Please respond