Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

my ISO income from exercise was reported on W2 block 14..thereby

Customer Question

my ISO income from exercise was reported on W2 block 14..thereby jacking my total compensation up. When I do Schedule D it matches the total in block 14 but puts it on line 14 1040 so I get double dinged. How do I back that out?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

W-2 block 14 - contains informational reporting.

The IRS requires the company to report the income from the disqualified disposition on W-2.

The gain on the sale is being reported on his W-2 as wages and considered a disqualifying transaction. The amount therefore should be included into box 1 - please verify.

In the box 14 you likely see what amount of ISO was included as wages and should use this amount as basis on the schedule D - that will eliminate possibility of double taxation.