Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

1. I paid additional state tax for 2004 which i paid on tax

1. I paid additional state tax for 2004 which i paid on tax year 2007.I included it on my Federal Schedule A. Should this payment also be included as tax payments together with tax withheld from W-2 on my tax year 2007 return 540?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Assuming you paid in 2007 California income taxes for 2004.

That is correct that amount paid was included on the schedule A - as you deduct state income tax based on the year in which they were actually paid. Be sure to report only actual taxes - not penalties or interest you might paid for being late.

As you filled form 540 -

you should not include that amount neither in line 36 California income tax withheld nor in the line 37 2007 CA estimated tax and other payments - you should only include withholdings and payments for 2007, but that payment was for different year.

However - that amount should be include in line 39 of the form 540CA - because it was included in your federal itemized deductions.