Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

As a sole proprietor can I deduct my church contributions on

As a sole proprietor can I deduct my church contributions on Schedule C since I do not file a Schedule A? If so, where on the schedule do I show it?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

No, unfortunately you cannot deduct your church contributions on Schedule C. Schedule C is to be used strictly for reporting income and expenses related to your business.

If you are unable to file Schedule A for itemized deductions, then you will not be able to take a deduction for your church contributions. I am giving you a link below to the IRS regulation which outlines this requirement.

I wish I could have given you a better solution, but those are the current regulations.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.,,id=164997,00.html