Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I did not file returns for years 2002-2006. During that time,

I did not file returns for years 2002-2006. During that time, I did not receive any compensation. I need to fix this "gap" with the IRS. What do I do? I don't have any records for the years in question. I do not have my 2001 return either. I started work again in 2007 and filed a return for 2007 and got a refund. Since then, the IRS has been after me to correct the "gap" between 2002-2006. I don't have much money to hire an accountant or lawyer for this and am hoping I can be directed down a path to resolve this myself. During these years, nobody can claim me as a dependent.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Generally - if you did not have any income in 2002-2006 you was not required to file tax returns for those years.

You would be required to file if you has self-employment income above $400 per year or

other taxable income (for singles)

2002 - above $7,700

2003 - above $7,800

2004 - above $7,950

2005 - above $8,200

2006 - above $8,450

If you got a notice from the IRS about not filing tax returns for 2002-2006 - I suggest you to write them back that you was not required to file - do not provide any details or explanations.

You do not need to hire an accountant or lawyer for this.