How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am working on a tv segment to give people general guidance on increasing their

This answer was rated:

I'd like to give people general guidelines they can use to make adjustments on their w-2 to increase their paycheck, decrease their refund, without ending up owing any money.

Also, are there other credits they can be taking advantage of that will increase paycheck instead of getting money back at year end?

You likely meant filing W-4 form that directs employer which withholding should be made.

Generally you need to estimate tax liability and withholding according to projected earnings and be sure that there is no negative difference...


Do you have any specific example you try to work with?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Lev, thanks for your answer. I need to give my viewers an easy way to do this, maybe some rules of thumb.

Where can they go to estimate their tax liability and then determine the max number of exemptions they can claim without going negative?

Are there any other credits/opportunities to increase the weekly paycheck through tax adjustments?

First of all there is a confusion between number of dependents (exemptions) on the tax return an d the number of allowances on the W-4 form - .


Generally - the IRS expects everyone to pay taxes at the time income is received - that is why tax withholding is implemented. At the tax time - the final calculation should be made and the refund or balance due is determined. Generally - the IRS OKs if the taxpayer owns less than $1000 and pay the balance before April 15. However most people feel uncomfortable if they owe and try to avoid balances.


To estimate tax liability one can use last year return - assuming there will not be major changes - and use the amount from line 63 form 1040 - - This is your total tax.

If there are some changes in financial situation - either fill a tax return - with software - there should not be a problem or use any online estimator - for instance -


The next step - to determine the number of allowances for W-4 form - please use the worksheet on the form.

Put 2 if you are single, not dependent on your parent's tax return and that is you primary job

if you itemize add 1 allowance for each $3500 above standard deduction. For instance if your estimated itemized deduction is $14,000

[$14,000 - $5450(standard deduction for singles)] / $3500 = 2

if you have dependent child - add 1

if the child is eligible for child tax credit and your total income will be less than $58,000- add 2

if you have child or dependent care expenses - add 1

So - your total number of allowances is 8

If you find above a little confusing - use Withholding Calculator provided by the IRS -,,id=96196,00.html


After you determine W-4 filing - see how you paystub would look like - a payroll person will use tables published by the IRS but we may use this calculator -

Assuming the person is paid $1000 weekly the paystub will be

Federal Withholding - $54
Social Security - $62
Medicare - $14.50
California - $30
CA SDI - $8
Net Pay - $831.50
Total estimated withholding $54 * 52 weeks = $2808 for the year.

If you compare this amount with your estimated tax liability - that will be estimated balance.


Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience