Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses

Entry in Public Records - State tax lien paid, released

State Franchise board lost my tax record for year 2005, sent me a notice in 2008 Feb/March that i have not filed my tax, sent them a copy of tax and details of refund and they accepted with a notice that case closed in July 2008. Applied for credit today, got rejected, checked my credit report and there is an entry from them in Public record with status - state tax lien paid, released.

Will this affect my credit history for long time. Can i sue them for this? If so what are the expenses involved?

Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for using justanswer. When you get a copy of your credit report, you should also have received a dispute form. If you didn't get a dispute form, you may write a letter, detailing any items that you feel are incorrect on your report. In this way you are requesting a reinvestigation into your file.

Under the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the credit bureau you submitted your dispute to has 30 days from the date it receives your letter to conduct its investigation. This 30-day period can be extended to 45 days, if the agency feels you didn't provide enough documentation to support your dispute. If the credit bureau can no longer verify the debt, or it is outdated, the bureau must immediately remove those items from your report. Within five days after completing the investigation, the credit bureau must inform you in writing of the results, which should include a new credit report reflecting any deletions, changes, or insertions.

As far as bringing legal action,to learn if a private attorney would be interested in taking your complaint on contingency, contact a member attorney of the National Association of Consumer Advocates.

If you believe a credit bureau is not complying with the FCRA, you should report it to the Federal Trade Commission.The FTC accepts complaints on its website Complaint Page or by phone at 877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261

You can also send your complaint by mail to:

Federal Trade Commission
Consumer Response Center XXXXX NW
Washington, DC 20580

The FTC does not resolve individual consumer disputes. But your complaint, comment, or inquiry may help them spot a pattern of law violations requiring law enforcement action. It also may help them recognize and tell people about bigger trends affecting consumers.

In general, negative information stays on your report no more than seven years from the original date of delinquency. Bankruptcies can stay on your report for up to 10 years.

I hope this helps

If you have found my answer helpful, please click the green "accept" button as it is the only way we get paid.

Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated.