How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an ordained minister. On the Cdn. tax return there is

Resolved Question:

I am an ordained minister. On the Cdn. tax return there is a line item (231) entitled clergy residence deduction. Could you define this for me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.



You are eligible to claim the clergy residence deduction on line 231 of your return if you were a member of the clergy or a religious order or a regular minister of a religious denomination, who was:

  • in charge of a diocese, parish or congregation;
  • ministering to a diocese, parish or congregation; or
  • engaged exclusively in full-time administrative service by appointment of a religious order or religious denomination.

The credit may be a full or partial credit for any amounts you paid for housing, including utilities.


In order to claim the credit, you must first complete Form T1223, Clergy Residence Deduction, that has Part B certified by your employer.


If this has been helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you.


Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you