Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I am an ordained minister. On the Cdn. tax return there is

I am an ordained minister. On the Cdn. tax return there is a line item (231) entitled clergy residence deduction. Could you define this for me?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

You are eligible to claim the clergy residence deduction on line 231 of your return if you were a member of the clergy or a religious order or a regular minister of a religious denomination, who was:

• in charge of a diocese, parish or congregation;
  • ministering to a diocese, parish or congregation; or
  • engaged exclusively in full-time administrative service by appointment of a religious order or religious denomination.

The credit may be a full or partial credit for any amounts you paid for housing, including utilities.

In order to claim the credit, you must first complete Form T1223, Clergy Residence Deduction, that has Part B certified by your employer.

If this has been helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.