Cassandra
Cassandra, Tax Preparer
Experience:  8yrs experience in taxation for individuals. CTEC Registered and an Authorized E-filer with the IRS
9608797

I MOVED FROM OHIO TO FLORIDA. IN OHIO I HAD A STORE AND ...

I MOVED FROM OHIO TO FLORIDA. IN OHIO I HAD A STORE AND THE STATE CLAIMS I STILL OWE SALES TAX, WHICH BY THE WAY I DON''T. CAN THEY PURSUE ME OUT OF THE STATE OF OHIO?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Cassandra replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomerand welcome to just answer

Yes, the state of Ohio can still pursue the collections of state sales tax, while you live in Florida, or any other state.

If you do not beleive you owe the sales tax, have you tried to prove this to the Sales Tax Board in Ohio? Do you have copies of payments and forms filed?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Cassandra's Post: yes i have called their office and sent six letters stating this matter was cleared up years ago. they claim this sales tax is from 1998-2000.
Expert:  Cassandra replied 8 years ago.
Do you have copies of any of these old records? Can you get a hold of the payments you made to them? I would highly recommend seeing what you can do to get a hold of at least payments made to them, during those years. If you can locate them, they will tell you how they think you owe them more. Maybe they lost your payments, or they never cleared? Any chance payments were made late, and interest and penalties were added? I do hope you can locate copies of payments made, it will help you out.