How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I haven't filed taxes in 4 years I'm in debt up

Customer Question

I haven't filed taxes in 4 years I'm in debt up to my ears and I feel like I'm smothering with it all. What are my options?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

First of all - you need to determine if you owe taxes or have tax due for each of these years. If you have tax due - please remember that you may file your return within three years after the due date and still claim a refund.

If you owe taxes - please be aware that there is no statute of limitation for the IRS to assess additional taxes, penalties, and interest - if you have not filed your tax return. If the tax return was timely filled - the IRS generally has three years after the tax return is due to assess additional taxes and ten years to collect taxes, penalties and interest.

the IRS would impose following penalties - only if you have tax due:

  • As the tax return was filed late - there is a Late Filing penalty - assuming the IRS did not suspect fraud - 5% per month of the net tax due the IRS (maximum 25%)
  • Late tax payments to the IRS penalty is an additional .5% per month of the unpaid tax due the IRS (maximum 25%)
  • On the top of that will be an interest compounded daily - the interest rate is determined every three months. Current interest is 7%.

If taxpayers are unable to pay a tax debt in full - there are several options:

An installment agreement would allow you to make a series of monthly payments over time. The IRS offers various payment options such as:

  • Direct Debit from your bank account,
  • Payroll Deduction from your employer, or
  • Payment via check or money order.

A one-time installment agreement fee of $105 will be charged when you enter into an installment agreement unless you choose to pay through a Direct Debit from your bank account, in which case the fee is $52.00. Taxpayers with income at or below 250% of the Department of Health and Human Services poverty guidelines can apply to pay a reduced user fee of $43.

You may also request a statutory extension of time to pay tax for up to 6 months if you show that it will cause you undue hardship to pay the tax on the date it is due. Undue hardship means more than inconvenience. You must show that you will have substantial financial loss if you pay your tax on the due date. You will need to submit Form 1127 , Application for Extension of Time for Payment of Tax, a complete statement of all your assets and liabilities at the end of last month; and an itemized list of money you received and spent for three months before you requested this extension.

If you are unable to pay a tax debt in full and an installment agreement is not an option, you may be able to take advantage of an offer in compromise (OIC). Generally, an OIC should be viewed as a last resort after taxpayers have explored all other available payment options. The IRS resolves less than 1% of all balance due accounts through the OIC program.

An OIC is submitted on Form 656, Offer in Compromise. Form 656 is a complete information package also containing Forms 433-A and 433-B, Collection Information Statements, instructions, and a worksheet.

Please find some helpful information here -,,id=109622,00.html

You probably need to hire a local CPA or Enrolled Agent to represent you with the IRS.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience