Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I filed my taxes every year (both state and local0 but for ...

I filed my taxes every year (both state and local0 but for 2006 I filed Federal only. I did not file for Alabama state. Can I rectify this or have I done something illegal?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

Hello lynda,

Yes, this can be rectified. You have not done anything illegal, but you do need to file this past due return.

You simply need to file the return for the year 2006 and send it in with any tax payment that might be due. Alabama does charge a late filing fee on all returns. The amount of the fee is 10% of the total tax due or $50, whichever is greater. The minimum amount of $50 will be assessed, even if no additional tax is due with your return. If you owe additional taxes, there may also be some interest charged assessed to the amount you owe.

So other than possibly owing the state some money, you will not be in any legal trouble over the late filing of this return.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.