Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS

If i have county and federal tax liens agaibst me and my ...

If i have county and federal tax liens agaibst me and my house is going up for sheriffs sale (by the county), can i remove anything of value from my house prior to the sale?
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. If your home is going up for sheriffs sale due to a state tax lien, your assets in your home can and should be remove. For the federal tax lien the following items are exemptions from seizure: 1- Any wearing apparel and school books that are necessary for the taxpayer or members of your family 2- Fuel, provisions, furniture, personal effects in your home, arms for personal use, livestock, and poultry up to $7,430 in value. 3- Books and tools necessary for your trade, business or profession up to $3,710 in value 4- Undelivered mail.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Would a Grand Piano that's worth approx 100K be considered furniture?
The Grand Piano would not be considered furniture and if the fair market value is $100,000 the piano might be seizure for payment of back taxes for state or federal income tax.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can i move it without them knowing??? I can move it to my sons house. I guess what i am asking, can i get into trouble for moving it without anyone knowing?
If your house is going up for a sheriffs sale you should move all you assets out of the house. If the state ask you for a inventory of assets in your home you should report all assets including the piano you have in the home. It is against the law for a person to hide assets from the state or federal tax authority.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
last reply, the county is selling my house because of back property tax. It probably will sell leaving the irs with nothing to put a lien on. They already take 15% of my social security. I am retired so there is nothing left to take. My irs lien is approx 180K. can i get into any trouble for moving the piano if they dont ask me about my assets. I can't goto jail or anything? What if someone tells the irs i moved it?
You will not go to jail if you move the piano to your son home. Your home is being sold due to back state taxes due and not your assets in the home. The IRS lien is for all assets and income you have except the exempt assets. The IRS can take your piano for back taxes but I do not believe this would happen due to the IRS must credit your account for the fair market value of the piano and sell you piano for the fair market value. How long have you owed the IRS for back taxes?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's been going on for about 10 years now. We keeping working out payment plans, but i don't have the income to manage them. I don't know what else they can do to me........i am turning 79 next year. I tried to work,but my office is in the house being sold. The irs was already taking evry dime i made plus they took the money out of 2 bank accounts i have! I dont think they'll put an old man in jail? I just don't have the means to pay!

The IRS would have filed crime charges against you long time ago if that was there intention. If you do not have the funds to pay the back taxes you should inform the IRS about this. The IRS can only seizure 15% of your SSI. If the IRS ask you to sign a extension to your statute of limitations to collect your back taxes, you should refuse. Let the statute of limitations run out. The statue of limitations to collect back taxes is only for 10 years from the date of assessment.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you for your help! i really appreciate it!!
Thank you for using Just Answer.