Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

what happens when your on SSI and receive a $10,000 inheritance check

Customer Question

my sister n law is on SSI unable to work and received a check for $10,000 from a real estate will, will she lose her SSI or not?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. If your sister in-law is receiving Supplemental Security Income the money she recived from the real estate will could make her ineligible for SSI. An individual cannot have more than $2,000 in resources to remain eligible. Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 and report the inheritance. They will tell her how her eligibility will be affected and what she can do to remain eligible.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Marvin,EA's Post: I found that same answer on the SSI web site, it doesn't help find a way to give it do another family member or use for health needs which she really needs. This answer is not something you need professional help with. Thanks.
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry about the answer but SSI is for low income individual who have no other income to count on. Any additional income the person receive might make the individual ineligible to receive SSI. That is why a person receiving SSI must report all additional income amount to the Social Security Administration.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
found that same answer on the SSI web site, it doesn't help.Need to find a way to give it do another family member or use for health needs which she really needs. This answer is not something you need professional help with. Thanks.
Customer(Online) -- 0 Accepts/1 Questions
Expert:  Anne replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer/p>

Thank you for using justanswer. Its my understanding that if you pay any proivder yourself on behalf of your sister-in-law, for example you write a check to her doctor to cover her office visit, then SSI does not count that money against her. You will want to contact them and see if this is still correct and if the state you live in has any regulations regarding this.

I hope this helps you

Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated.