Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I filed my taxes in April and did my rebate in June, when ...

Customer Question

I filed my taxes in April and did my rebate in June, when will I receive these checks
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

Hello Hakima,

Can you please clarify what you mean by saying you did your rebate in June?

Also, what date in April did you file your taxes? Did you receive a regular refund and was that refund deposited to your bank account or did you get a check?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I filed my taxes on or about April 12,2008. I filed for my stimulus check on June 20,2008.My check was suppose to be direct deposited.
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

Hello again Hakima,

I am still a little unclear when you say you filed for your stimulus check in June. The way the stimulus rebates work, are that when you filed your regular tax return for the year 2007, your stimulus rebate was automatically calculated based on the information submitted on that return. There was no separate form or paperwork that you need to file in order to get the stimulus rebate. If you qualified for a stimulus rebate, it was automatically determined based on your tax return information.

Also, the stimulus rebates were sent out either by direct deposit or by check in the mail. In order to receive a direct deposit, you had to fill in your bank account information in the appropriate place on your return. Many people thought they were getting a direct deposit, but due to some confusion on where to put this information, they ended up getting a check, so perhaps that may have happened in your case as well.

The direct deposits have all been completed for the most part, with the exception of a few rebates which were misrouted by the IRS and they are still being processed. The IRS is also near the end of sending out checks. The schedule for checks to be issued was based on the last 2 digits of your social security # XXXXX follows.

00 - 09 May 16th

10 - 18 May 23rd

19 - 25 May 30th

26 - 38 June 6th

39 - 51 June 13th

52 - 63 June 20th

64 - 75 June 27th

76 - 87 July 4th

88 - 99 July 11th

If your social security number ends in 64 through 99, then your check is probably either on the way or will be processed soon based on the above schedule. You should also receive a letter in the mail from the IRS approximately one week before your rebate is issued, letting you know it is on the way.

If this answer was helpful, please press the Accept key.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My refund was suppose to be direct deposited, bu the account number was written down incorrectly,and was told the check will be mailed.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there anyway I can find out what happen to my check? You are correct I only filed my income tax form
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just sent another message asking how canI find out what happened to my check. Is there anything that I can do?
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

Hello again Hakima,

I am giving you a link below to a section of the IRS website where you can enter some basic information, and it should give you the status of your rebate. However, keep in mind that if you had an error on your bank account number, then your check is probably not in the normal line of processing. Since your bank account information was entered incorrectly, the IRS had to reissue your check, and the information on the issue date may not be readily available in the system, but you can try this link to see what it tells you.

If this was helpful, please press the Accept key.

Thanks again.