How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am going thru a divorce and we have a house that is up ...

This answer was rated:

I am going thru a divorce and we have a house that is up for sale (I am on the deed) and i was wondering the following: 1. Can I legally claim 50% house on yearly taxes (even if she is making payments and i don''t live there) until its sold? 2. I am paying $1200 in "Child Support"...can i claim daycare expenses? 3. Divorce states that i am responsible for 50% of medical expenses, can I claim those on my taxes?


You can not deduct any part of a divorce or custody settelment that is considered child support.

You can only deduct the portions attributed to spousals support.

So it really depends on the languge of the decree.

Generally, the expenses you list would be treated in taxes as follows:

  1. 50% of the house: not deductable. The reason is, that you are part owner in the house, and when it is sold you will give it a capital gains treatment according to your share and the language in the divorced decree to inlcude any capital gains exclusions. A settlement of this nature is not a taxable event for her or you, except to the extent that there may be capital gains taxes.
  2. 1200 in child support: ; not a deduction.
  3. child care expenses: This is determined by who has physical custody and the langauge of the divorce decree, if any related to taxes. The person with whom the child lived a majority of the year gets to claim the child care expense. Even if you are able to claim the child as a deduction, only the custodial parent is allowed to claim the child care expenses.
  4. 50% of medical expenses: You can claim the medical expense to the extent that together with your own medical expenses, your total of all medical exceeds 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ed Johnson's Post: Ed,

Thanks for the quick response. There is no language in the decree except that she is responsible to payments, insurance and property taxes. No mention of any capital gains whatsoever. Why would i pay capital gains if i will turn around and purchase another home?

the decree does state that she will be responsible for daycare I am done there, right?

So based on 75K i would need to compile $5625 in medical expenses to claim? Am i correct?

these are great answers Ed, if you could just answer the above we will be done....thanks!


Thanks for your comments and feedback.

A lot of divorce decrees fail to mention the splitting of taxes at the sale of the home.

The old rules of rolling over a home to avoid capital gains no longer apply. Now you get a capital gains exclusion. So when you sell that home, I assume the settlement has you splitting the capital gain (profits) from the home.

You will be able to exclude up to 250,000 of your capital gains from taxes, depending on how long you lived there. Any amount in excess of the exclusion would be taxable at 15%.

So you would take half the gain and apply your exclusion.

The maximum exclusion is 250,000 if you lived in the home for 2 of the past 5 years while also owning it. If you lived there less, because a divorce is an exception, you would take a proportional exclusion based on the number of months you lived in and owned the home as you primary residence. Most likely unless this is a really big home, you will not actually pay any capital gains; i mention it because it is part of the rules for what is possible.

Day care expenses, sorry, you can not claim them...yes you are done there.

The 5625 is correct: but remember, medical expense includes:

  1. insurance premium for dental medical and hospitalization
  2. mileage to and from doctors,hospitals, pharmacies, and clinics
  3. lab testing
  4. x-rays
  5. doctor visits, dental visits, acupuncture, hypnotism, chiropractor, etc.



Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience: GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Ed Johnson and 8 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience