Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS

my husband owes backtaxes in 2003 about $6400 and it is ...

my husband owes backtaxes in 2003 about $6400 and it is on his credit report. We want to purchase a house but need to solve this problem before getting a mortgage loan. I tried the IRS website and numbers and I read something about requesting for settlement of payment by filing form 8821? what do you suggest?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. The IRS has filed a Federal Tax Lien against your husband for nonpayment of back taxes. The best way to get the lien release is to enter into a installment agreement to satisfy the liability and file a application for withdrawal of the federal tax lien. You will file forms 9465, Installment Agreement Request, ( ) and 12277, Application for Withdrawal of Filed Form 668(Y), Notice of Federal Tax Lien, (