Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
586644

My 15 year old son has been tested every two years to ...

My 15 year old son has been tested every two years to assess his problem with profound dyslexia. He attends a regular school but receives intense academic therapy during the school day and after school paid for by me. Is the cost of his academic therapy tax deductible as a medial expense? What about the cost of the testing?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer

As long as the academic therapy is prescribe by a physician and is used to treat the dyslexia, (which I think it is), then you can deduct it on your taxes, to the extent that your total of all medical expenses including this therapy, exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.

In the envent of audit, you will want to make sure the doctors notes indicate this therapy is needed, or obtain a medical letter of necessity from the physician.