Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee

My Mother recently asked for her IRS employment history.

My Mother recently asked for her IRS employment history. They have quite a few errors including her working for the now defunct Montgomery Wards. She worked as a retailer for them for 10 years and the IRS only has her down for 2 years. These errors are costing my mother much needed income. They said she would have to track down her W2''s from 40 years ago. Where would we ever be able to find them? Please e-mail me [email protected] with any help that you could offer. Thank you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

Dear LA,

Thank you for your question.

I am using your initials because this is a public forum and I want to respect your privacy.

It is unusual for someone to be required 40 years of W-2's and 1099's unless it dealt with social security.

The Social Security Administration can provide a work history report and reported earnings for your entire life.

You should also be able to get at least a partial third party payer report from the IRS.

to get copies of your SS report and copies of your W-2's please use the following instructions:

To get the third party payer report contact the IRS at(NNN) NNN-NNNNselect option one and then option 4. Ask to speak to the department who can provide a third party payer report to determine prior year 1099 payers. (they should be able to give you at least 5 years worth).

To obtain a work history report, please check here: