mckeecpa
mckeecpa, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Over 10 years of tax practice
10286168

Do you pay state taxes for the state you live in or work in or both

No Comment Added
Category: Tax
Expert:  mckeecpa replied 6 years ago.
Some states don't have state tax. Can you tell me which state you live in, which state you work in?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to mckeecpa's Post: Live in New Jersey but work in Texas
Expert:  mckeecpa replied 6 years ago.

Any person who became a resident of New Jersey during the year and whose income from all sources for the entire year is greater than $20,000 ($10,000 if filing status is single or married/CU partner, filing separate return) must file a New Jersey resident income tax return (Form NJ-1040) and report that portion of their income received while a resident of New Jersey. Taxpayers who lives in NY but works in other states maybe eligible to claim a credit on NJ tax return for taxes paid to the other states.

Texas has no income taxes for individuals.

Conclusion:You will need to report all your income( including Texas income) on NJ tax return. No tax in Texas.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to mckeecpa's Post: But, what if they also worked in a state that had state income taxes do you need to withhold state taxes for both states?
Expert:  mckeecpa replied 6 years ago.

No, you don't have to. The procedure can be different state by state but there should be a way to elect out. Which state is your employer located?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to mckeecpa's Post: The employer is in Texas but, they have employees working and living in twenty different states. Most of the time they live in one state and work in another. And I am having a hard time keeping up with what needs to be filed where at this point.
Expert:  mckeecpa replied 6 years ago.

If the paycheck is from Texas, Texas has a rule of withholding otherstates' taxes. They will withhold your New Jersey tax on your paycheck.

Yes, you do have to keep track of which states you have to pay taxes.

Experience: Over 10 years of tax practice