Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

If you owe back child support & you file your taxes ...

If you owe back child support & you file your taxes & you are getting money back, can they take my refund and apply it to back child suppot, even though they are taking money out of my Social Security check each money?
They take 65% of my social security each month.
Submitted: 8 years ago via RomingerLegal.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

If your child support debt is in collection status - yes - any tax refund you might expect will likely be garnished. That include regular tax refund and stimulus rebate check. You will receive a notice that states the original refund amount, your offset amount, the agency receiving the payment, and the address and telephone number of the agency.

That is according to the Treasury Offset Program authorized by Congress. Please see some details here -