Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
586644

i am seeing a therapist at 40pound a week she told me that ...

Customer Question

i am seeing a therapist at 40pound a week she told me that because i dont work but pay tax's because i am on widows pension that i could claim this back with the reciepts i recieved from her . Is this true and if so how do i go about doing this.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Are you inquiring about a USA tax return or a UK tax return?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
uk tax return
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
uk tax return
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer

I have been asked to take a look at your question.

Please confirm that you are seeking information on how to reduce your tax liability in the UK by claiming your physical therapy payments?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i am very lost at your answer. Ai able to claim my money back that i have been paying for my therapy sessions. I am on widows pension and pay tax's every month

Dear Kay,

I was merely trying to make sure I understood what you were asking for.

There is no tax deduction in the UK for medical expenses in general, such as this. That does not mean there is not an exception in the rules that might allow you to do this.

So if you are asking if you can reduce your taxes, then you will not be able to do so, under the publically available resources. You will need to contact the inland revenue pensioner help line at: 0845(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

On the other hand if you are asking that can you ask the government for a reimbursment of your therapy fees, that may be another story.

Please let me know if you are asking if you can reduce taxes or get a reimbursement of your medical costs.

Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience: GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i think my therapist said aomething about reimbursement of my medical costs.

DearCustomer

Thanks. did they say who would reimburse you?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no i don't really know where to look into doikn g it or anythin if you could set me on the right track that would be great

DaerCustomer

I can do this. The reason for my question was to find out what kind of medical insurance or coverage you currently have.

I know the UK has a social medical program that operates similar to the U.S. Medicare Program, where the government is supposted to pay for your health care.

I also know that the UK has a widows pensioner plan that is associated with war widow pentions.

Since you did not get a name of who was supposed to reimburs you, I need to know what kind of pension you have in particulr.

You said a widow's pension? so is that a war widow pension or which pension plan exactly.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
erm i don't exactly know , my husband was killed in afghanistan last year and i have been getting it since then. Hope that helps

DearCustomer

Thanks that helps. This means that you are most likley receiving the war widow benefit.

do you have government sponsored free medical care?

DearCustomer

Thank you for making a payment. I am sure you responded to a reminder sent out from the website. But I have nto provided the full answer to you yet. You do not have to pay anymore, but I would like to finish helping you with this question.

Can you tell me if you are enrolled in the UK free medical care program?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i dont thimk so actrually i, not sure i have never been told or anything that i am. I get free nhs treatment until my son is one which is in september then i only get a little help towards everything after that because i get child tax credit

DearCustomer

Thank you for the information.

Ok from our trail of exchanges, my recommendation is to go to the followign web site and contact the persons at the help line.

This is special web page for war widows. According to the latest changes to legislation governing war widows, you should be able to get reimbursed for a portion or all of the medical care. However, I can not determine your eligibility under the law with the information available to me.

You will have to contact them to find out how to do it.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Inretirement/DG_10018936