Cassandra, Tax Preparer
Experience:  8yrs experience in taxation for individuals. CTEC Registered and an Authorized E-filer with the IRS

Barbara owns an incorporated consulting business, for which ...

Barbara owns an incorporated consulting business, for which she has spent years building up its respectable reputation. However, business recently has dropped dramatically due to the unprofessional behavior or Cliff, Barbara's husband. Barbara feels that the only way to protect her business is to divorce Cliff. Cliff demands 50% of the stock in Barbara's business. The divorce will be costly because Cliff and Barbara cannot reach an agreement about the business stock. Are the costs of the divorce deductible to Barbara or to Cliff?
HelloCustomerand welcome to just answer.

Unfortunately the cost of a divorce is a personal legal expense and is not deductible on a personal or business tax return. Legal expense is only deductible on a business return if it is directly associated with the business, such as a client suing the business. I am sure this is not the answer you were hoping for, but want to give you only true facts of the case.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will accept, can you give the publication document as reference?
I will provide the link to publication 529 at the end of this. When you go to this publication scroll down to L for legal expense and you will find a different link to personal legal expenses and business legal expenses (which is titled as production of income).