Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

My husband recently received a settlement from his ...

My husband recently received a settlement from his long term disability insurance company, The Hartford. Federal and state taxes were not deducted from this check. Is there a way we can prepay the federal and state taxes to the government?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Yes, you may prepay federal taxes by filing Form 1040ES with the IRS which is used for estimated tax payments. Estimated taxes are generally filed by self employed individuals who have no tax withheld from their checks, or by anyone who receives an untaxed amount of money that they will need to report at the end of the year. These estimated payments are generally filed quarterly. The date for the first quarterly filing has already passed, however, you can simply make payments for the remaining three quarters.

I am giving you a link to Form 1040ES with the instructions for using the form.

If this answer has been helpful, kindly press the "Accept" key. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the question and have a great day.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf